Poetry Moves in Schools
Welcome to Poetry Moves in Schools, the Edmonton Poetry Festival’s year-round school program. We aim to get poets into local schools to help teachers inspire in students a life-long interest in poetry and literature. We help students explore their own unique voices, and how they can be used in poetry. Our poets have staged in-class workshops for 3500+ students to date, at every grade level. Our visiting poets are published, seasoned authors and performers who posses a range of expertise and experience. From hip-hop and spoken word, to blues and avante garde, to traditional lyrical verse, we’ve got the poetic bases covered. Educators, let us help you make poetry and words a permanent part of your student’s lives.
How It Works
- You choose the date, time, and the poet(s) you’d like to work with.
- Before the visit, you’ll work with that poet to plan an enjoyable and educational session for your students. The typical class visit involves a short performance followed by some writing exercises.
- Our poet visits your classroom and ignites a love for poetry in your students.
- Post-visit, you fill out a survey to let us know how it went, and what we can do to improve.
- The cost is $150 per poet, for a single class or block, payable by cheque upon the poet’s visit to your classroom. Alternate payment arrangements can be made. Drop us a line, we’d love to work with you.
Book A Poet
A visit from a live, practicing poet tells your students that poetry isn’t just fancy words and rhyming sonnets written by Shakespeare (don’t get us wrong – Shakespearean sonnets are pretty great). It’s a living, breathing art that comes in many forms and is practiced in all cultures. Get to know our poets first, then once you’ve selected a poet to work with, click through to our booking form.
Poet Laureate of Edmonton (2017-2019)
Internationally recognized award-winning poet, Ahmed Knowmadic Ali, is a full-time writer, actor, public speaker and youth worker who inspires ... Full Bio
Stage performer of spoken word and more
Lady Vanessa Cardona is a mestiza, Colombian, first generation immigrant artist, poet, theatre practitioner, community organizer, dance instructor and ... Full Bio