CALL FOR APPLICANTS: Artistic Producer
The Edmonton Poetry Festival Society is excited to share an opportunity for a new Artistic Producer to replace our outgoing Executive Director. This position is a part-time ongoing contractor role with the goal of transitioning to a three-quarter-time role as the festival landscape returns to in-person events when it is safe to do so. We are not certain when that will happen but we expect the remainder of 2021 to require part-time hours (outlined below).
The Poetry Festival is also in a period of transition to elect approximately half of a new board. The new Artistic Producer will be instrumental in helping recruit new board members. Following the equity initiatives it published in 2020, and in line with the 35/50 Initiative, the Festival aspires to achieve a Board membership of a minimum of 35% BIPOC and 50% women and gender minorities.
The successful candidate will be supported by the Board and by the outgoing Executive Director through an extended transition period. There is an opportunity for the job description below to shift to accommodate the Festival’s vision as well in the future.
START DATE: May 2021 (flexible, depending on circumstances)
SALARY: $1000 a month part-time (approximately 10 hours a week), with a transition to $2500 a month (approximately 25 hours a week, with flexible hours required during the festival). This works out to approximately $25 an hour. This position does not come with benefits and is flexible in terms of days and hours worked.
LOCATION: Edmonton area (working from home, with a plan to return to an optional office setting when circumstances allow)
The Artistic Producer will be responsible for:
- Participating in the creation of a new board for the Festival and working collaboratively to engage with community in re-envisioning the purpose, mission, and activities relevant to the Festival’s goals
- Carrying out the artistic vision of the Festival to bring poetry to audiences and creators alike through programming that is not limited to an annual festival
- Programming for the Festival, including the booking of artists, venues, technical support, advertising, and coordination of Festival’s events
- Creating literary connections to other festivals and communities in the city across a broad range of poetic disciplines and literary programs and partners
- Reporting to the board at monthly board meetings on the ongoing status of projects and the administration of the Festival
- Marketing the festival through traditional and online means, including hiring on and managing marketing staff when applicable
- Overseeing the website, social media, and traditional media of the Festival
- Acting as an ambassador for the Festival
- Fundraising and Grants:
- Coordinating with the board and staff to plan and organize the bi-annual casino
- Coordinating with the board and staff to complete and submit grant applications (anywhere between two to more than five per year) and reports.
- Working with the Fundraising Committee to creatively pursue fundraising and revenue development, including sponsorships, donations, and partnerships
- Financial Responsibilities:
- Budgeting for the festival and maintaining programs within the Festival’s means to ensure the Festival remains in positive financial position
- Overseeing financial transactions and payments, including issuing and tracking cheques and the bank accounts
- Working with the Bookkeeper to submit annual returns and reports, and filling our relevant financial information to the Province and federal government
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the Edmonton literary community and strong event management skills, with connections to other organizers, artists, and creative venues to present the Poetry Festival. They do not necessarily have to be a poet themselves, although experience with the artform is also considered an asset.
POSTING END DATE: This job will remain open until this position is filled
Please send a cover letter and CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful interviewees will also be asked for a reference afterwards.